Monday 21 January 2013

Prawn Cocktail with a twist - Recipe

During the weekend, I did a 70's classic dish, the prawn cocktail. This classic retro starter was perfect to have as a light meal as we had a late brunch on Saturday. The prawn cocktail does remind me somewhat of a Swedish sandwich, ägg- och räkmacka (egg and prawn sandwich), which I have not had for sometime now and will definitely make soon. 

As I like to change recipes slightly I did this prawn cocktail with a twist. So this is by no means any classic recipe for the prawn cocktail. It is, however, a very straightforward recipe and super easy to put together as nothing needs to be cooked really. 

I was inspired to do this dish when I went with husband to the restaurant chain, Giraffe. I ordered their prawn cocktail and it had a delicious and tangy bbq-ish taste with tortillas in it and I simply loved it. Just had to give it a go myself. I love Giraffe simply because they offer a variety of international dishes and I always find something new and tasty to try out. That is really a chain that I like to visit often. Besides, the prices are quite ok.


The recipe

Ingredients:
Lettuce, few leaves, shredded
2 tomatoes, diced
1 ripe avocado, diced
2/3 cup of light mayo
few drops Worcester sauce
0,5 tsp smoked paprika
Salt and pepper
1 cup prawns, peeled and cooked
2 tbsp lemon juice

Method:
1- I used frozen prawns so I quickly stir fried them with some smoked paprika and black pepper for few minutes and put them to aside.


2- I diced the avocado in 1 cm pieces and added lemon juice over, as it prevents it from turning brown. I mixed it with the diced tomatoes and added some salt and pepper.

3- In a bowl, I mixed the mayo, ketchup, Worcester sauce, barbecue sauce, smoked paprika and black pepper. Then I added the prawns to the mayo mix and mixed well.



4- Last step is simply to put everything together in 2 glasses. I put layers of lettuce in the bottom of the glass, added a layer of avocado and tomatoes as well as a layer of the mayo mix with prawns. Sprinkled some smoked paprika  and dried dill over it as well.  I served it with a toasted bread. 

It tasted really good and that bbq sauce added a tangy and pleasant twist to it. This will definitely be a meal I will do often when i want something fresh, light yet creamy and quick to make.



Enjoy!

No comments: