Monday 7 October 2013

Baked salmon with U-kuva i-Africa spice rub and mashed potato - Recipe


I have discovered a new brand of spices that I am interested in using more of in my cooking. U-kuva i-Africa is a fair trade brand specializing in spices and sauces inspired from all corners of the beautiful African continent. So far I have used the Jacobsbaai spice rub for fish and it was truly a special mix and very flavorful. Unfortunately I couldn't find this mix in their product section on their website so I hope they have not discontinued it as it was very good. I used the mix to rub in a baked salmon, served with veggies and mashed potato. In the mashed potato, I also used a very tasty mix to spice it up a bit: Pepper creek farm's Parmesan Garlic Bread Dipping mix. I love to find new spice mixes and introduce them to my cooking in various ways. These two spices I bought from TK Maxx, which generally have spices and sauces that are a bit hard to find elsewhere and more exclusive.


Ingredients:
3 salmon fillet
U-kuva i-Africa Jacobsbaai spice mix
10 potatoes
butter
milk
pepper creek farm parmesan garlic bread dipping mix
salt and pepper


Method: 
1. Layer the salmon fillets in a oven dish and rub them with a little oil and the U-kuva i-Africa Jacobsbaai spice mix all over, with the skin side down. Bake in the oven 185 degrees for 30 minutes.


2. Boil the potatoes and once done, mash up with a potato mash utensil. Add salt and pepper, 1 tsp of Pepper Creek Farm Parmesan garlic bread dipping mix. Also, add butter and milk to taste and mix everything well.


3. Serve The salmon with the mashed potato and dry fried veggies with a pinch of Parmesan garlic bread dipping mix.



Enjoy!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love finding new things; and that spice blend looks really interesting - what does it taste like? As a Canadian, I am very unfamiliar with African cuisine.

Cheers

Rebecca

The Flaming Potato said...

Rebecca, i def recomend to find these spices on amazon. They throughly make the meal tasty and flavourful. They are tangy and zesty i would say :)