When I visited a friend who got a new baby she served us this delicious cake. It was home made and very tasty. I said you should not have gone trough the trouble and made a cake, you must be tired. But she shared her secret with me and I have to admit, it was one of the easiest cake recipes I have seen and baked. All you need is a glass!
The cake is named Basbousa, a famous Middle Eastern cake that is drenched in a sugary syrup. But I find it to sweet so I simply serve it as is without any syrup. This semolina cake should be tried, as both young and old have approved it every time I make it. Use the same glass to measure the ingredients.
1 glass oil, 1 glass semolina, 1 glass natural yogurt, 1 glass coconut, 1 glass sugar,
1-2 tsp vanilla,
1 tsp baking powder,
1. Break the eggs on a bowl and add the sugar and mix well. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix slowly so that everything is incorporated well. You can also add few drops of orange flower water to add more flavour if you want, but I don't add it.
2. Coate the cake form well in oil and coconut flakes, so that it prevents the cake from sticking to the form, once it is done.
3. Add the dough to the oven form and put almonds on top. You should think of squares, where each should have one almond in it, to measure the distant between the almonds.
4. Bake it in the oven (180 degrees) for roughly 30-40 minutes until golden brown.
5. Once it has cooled down put a kitchen paper under so that all excess oil is removed from cake, when you cut it. It is a very light and fluffy cake, that just melts in your mouth.